Poverty Action Week 2019 will take place from Monday 21st – Sunday 27th January 2019.
Find out how to get involved below!
Poverty Action Week takes place annually at the end of January. There are thousands of people living in need locally, including around 30,000 children in Leicestershire and 21,000 children in Northamptonshire. Poverty Action Week (PAW) was launched in 2015 by Charity Link to highlight the fact that many local people don’t have the very basics in life. We believe passionately that all local people deserve a decent standard of living, where they are dry, warm, clean, safe and fed – no matter what crisis, illness, disability or difficulty they are facing. For those we support, including the frail elderly, victims of domestic violence or people with a mental health issue, these basic needs can often go unmet.
Funds raised through our Poverty Action Week activities will help to buy items, such as food, clothing, cookers and beds and bedding for those in need.
Information for Schools and Colleges
We’ve a dedicated page with information for schools and colleges who may be interested in supporting Poverty Action Week or our annual dress up day, Wear a Funky Scarf Day. Click here for more information. We’d love to hear from schools and colleges and can provide the support and materials to help make any events or activities a success.
Show your support with a Poverty Action Week Pin Badge
Our badges cost just £2 including post and packaging (or you can collect from our offices on Millstone Lane during office hours). Wear your badge with pride during the week to show support for local people in poverty. You can click here to visit our shop to purchase a pin badge.
Our two main events for Poverty Action Week 2019
- Our annual dress up day ‘Wear a Funky Scarf Day‘ on Friday 25th January 2019 – perfect for schools, colleagues and for support in the workplace.
- The Charity Link Sleepover on Saturday 26th January (through to the morning of Sunday 27th January!) – raise funds by experiencing a little hardship for a night!
And just some of the other ways you can help include…
- Buy and wear a pin badge
- Contact us for PAW leaflets and posters or download them to help spread the word – put them up at work, your local library or community centre etc.
- Share your Wear a Funky Scarf Day photos on social media (tag @charitylink with #funkyscarfday)
- Raise funds in your own way – there are lots of ideas at http://charity-link.org/get-involved/fundraising/ All funds raised will help to buy more essential items for local people in need
- Share our posts on Facebook and Twitter – or post your own (#PAW19)
Paying in details
Thank you so much if you do raise funds in support of our Poverty Action Week activities.
You can send a cheque – payable to Charity Link – to us at: Charity Link, 20a Millstone Lane, Leics, LE1 5JN.
Drop funds off at our office (address above).
Pay in funds via the ‘donate’ button at www.justgiving.com/leicestercharitylink .
Make a bank transfer – Account name: LCOS Ltd, Account number: 03253310 Sort Code: 30 / 94 / 97 (Please email firstname.lastname@example.org when you do so so we can confirm receipt and thank you for your support. Please reference the transfer with your name and ‘PAW19’).
Donate by text to support PAW19 – simply text PAWK19 and the amount you wish to give (such as PAWK19 £2) to 70070. You can donate £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 each time via this method (further details on text donation here.)
Last year’s PAW supporters included…
Jon Ashworth MP, Leicester South, Nicky Morgan MP, Loughborough, The Very Revd David Monteith, Dean of Leicester, Professor Surinder Sharma, Charnwood Primary in Leicester, Woodcote Primary in Ashby, Rendall Primary School, Business Live Networking, Simon Cole, Chief Constable of Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland, Ian and the team at Corby Library, the team at Ashby Life, EHL Commercial Law, Leicester City Women’s Football Team, Humphrey Perkins School and Uplands Junior LEAD Academy.