With continued uncertainty due to the Covid-19 pandemic which means we are unable to run our annual Leicestershire 3 Peaks Challenge in the usual way this year, we are very excited to introduce … The Leicestershire 3 Peaks Challenge – Strides Apart 2020! #stridesapart2020
As the need for our services grows, at the same time as our fundraising income has fallen dramatically due to the impact of Covid-19, we really hope we can count on your support. By taking part in Strides Apart you will be helping to provide essential items to local people and children in hardship, including those directly impacted by the pandemic.
Traditionally our award-winning* Leicestershire 3 Peaks Challenge follows our own unique 16 mile route starting at Bradgate Park to cover the peaks of Beacon Hill, Bardon Hill (Leicestershire’s highest point) and back to Old John Tower in Bradgate.
Strides Apart asks you to take on your own 16 mile walking (or running!) challenge to help raise funds:
• You can do your 16 mile route in one go like we usually do on the Leicestershire 3 Peaks, or you can split it into sections (2 x 8 miles / 4 x 4 miles, for example) walked on different days depending on your own walking experience, fitness and time
• Tackle our unique traditional 16 mile route (we will provide the map to registered challengers), pick out sections of the route to undertake, or walk in your own area, visit your favourite local walks or come up with your own route in Leicestershire
• Think what ‘peaks’ you can include – there are some suggestions for big peaks in Leicestershire on the Mountain Guide website but you can be creative with your summits! Try to include 3 ’peaks’ if you can – all in one walk or what about a peak a week!
• Take part on your own, with family members or with friends / colleagues (following restrictions and social distancing as appropriate at the time you take on your challenge)
What about a relay event with your colleagues or friends/family each doing a leg – you could even set a challenge of doing 160 miles rather than the usual 16!
• How can you make your challenge unique and encourage more sponsorship? Dress up, do sections hopping or skipping… we’d love to hear your ideas!
• Our Leicestershire 3 Peaks Challenge was scheduled for Sunday 27th September. You can take on your challenge on this day or on any day/s between Saturday 12th September – 27th September so you’ve got three weekends to walk if you wish (of course if you need to complete your challenge outside of those dates we’d still love you to take part)
• Our aim is that Strides Apart will help to raise £10,000 – a huge amount which will make a massive difference to those living in need, but it’s is more than achievable when you think it is 134 people each raising the fundraising target of £75. We are asking the community to pull together and do something amazing for others!
Will you help to make a difference?
Entry is £15 per adult (under 18’s free) to help cover costs. We then ask you to fundraise / raise sponsorship. Due to our unique way or working, every £10 you raise will help to provide £50 of essential items to those in need; everyday items which can immensely improve quality of life, including food, clothing, beds, cookers and fridges. We are asking everyone taking part to set a target of raising at least £75 – enough to provide £375 worth of life-changing support. Quite simply the more you raise, the more essential items you will help to provide.
Taking part is easy
• Complete and return a registration form
• Pay your entry fee (you can pay online via our online shop – click on the ‘Strides Apart’ box) or you can send a cheque (made payable to Charity Link) with your form to: Strides Apart, Charity Link, 20a Millstone Lane, Leicester, LE1 5JN (click the ‘collect from office’ option if you pay your entry fee via the online shop – we don’t expect you to collect from the office and will post your t-shirt and welcome pack out to you without you paying extra postage)
• We will then send you your entry pack with everything you need to start your Strides Apart journey!
Your entry pack includes
• Training notes and handy hints
• Leicestershire 3 Peaks map
• Exclusive Leicestershire 3 Peaks Strides Apart T-shirt
• Sponsorship form
• I-Spy game sheet (to add some extra optional fun to your Challenge!)
• Challenge Complete! form
After your Challenge
Return your Challenge Complete! form letting us know the distance you covered, how long it took, a bit about your route (and peaks) and how you found your challenge – and of course how much you have raised so far. We’d also love to see any photos from your challenge (see competition details below!). We’ll then forward your thank you certificate which you can proudly share with your sponsors.
(If you use Strava or another fitness app which logs distance via GPS you may want to post updates for your sponsors during your challenge or share the finished route afterwards. You can also now link Strava directly to a JustGiving sponsorship page (research shows sponsors donate more with these type of updates)).
Extra fun and prizes to be won!
Photo competition and dressing up!
Send photos taken during your challenge for the chance to win a prize! Our Proud Business Supporter and expert photographer Matt Glover of Matt Glover Photography (who usually captures our Leicestershire 3 Peaks event for us) has kindly agreed to judge the competition. We are not necessarily looking for the most technically perfect images: we are looking for images that make us smile, which capture the spirt of the event and/or the amazing and varied scenery on offer in Leicestershire. (Please only send images which you are happy for us to use in promotional activities). We’d also like to see photos of you if you dress up during your challenge – again there will be prizes for the best challenge costume! You may also like to send photos to prove your more unusual ispy entries!
Whilst we are unable to run our Corporate Team Challenge Competition in the usual way this year, we will be awarding a special ‘Strides Apart Cup’ to the company / business which we feel best supports this event. This could be raising the most, having the most team members taking part (adhering to social distancing or competing in an imaginative relay) or supporting the event in other ways. So be sure to let us know how your business is getting involved!
Spread the Word!
Along with raising essential funds, Strides Apart is helping to keep our vital work in people’s minds at this difficult time when so many are have been affected by the Covid-19 pandemic – we need support more than ever so spreading the word is vital.
You can help through this event, by sharing it with others, by posting on social media that you are lending your support, by sharing videos of your training or taking part on the challenge….
Share, share, share! Tag us on social media and use the hashtag #stridesapart2020
Facebook – @charitylink Instagram – @charity_link_official
Twitter – @charitylink Linked-In – @charity-link-official
Check out our Facebook page and follow the Strides Apart event page – share your training tips and experiences, tell others you are taking part, post photos from your challenge.. lets create a real buzz and spread the word about Strides Apart!
• Don’t try taking on 16 miles in one go unless you’re a regular walker or have undertaken some training! If you are planning to take on 16 miles in one stretch, do read our notes on training and what to take with you which will be sent when you register
• The map of our traditional Leicestershire 3 Peaks route will be posted as part of your welcome pack. As this is our unique route which took us some time to create, please do not share this with those not taking part in the challenge
• You can still read up on the traditional Leicestershire 3 Peaks on our website to get a feel for the route and timings of this award winning event. We are looking forward to the return of this event in 2021 where we can all take part together and celebrate with a glass of bubbles at the end of the challenge, but in the meantime we can’t wait for Strides Apart! Members of the Charity Link will be taking part in their own challenges and will be sharing details.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Strides Apart team! #stridesapart2020
**LATEST NEWS UPDATES**
*It was great to see the event in the Leicester Mercury on Saturday 18th July. Read the article here
*Rising Star Winner – Fundraising Event of the Year category – East Midlands Charity Awards 2020